Any Colorado resident or student in-state attending a Colorado college or university may obtain a free Denver Public Library Card. Registering online or in person takes just a couple of minutes. Note: when registering in person, please be sure to bring official picture ID and proof of CO address (such as a print or electronic utility statement, lease, etc.).
Registering online for an eCard allows you to place holds and provides immediate access to hundreds of useful research databases, and the following eMedia resources:
|Bookflix for Kids||X|
* Kanopy is available to Denver residents only.
eCards expire after 4 years. Present a valid government or school-issued picture ID at any Denver Public Library location, prior to expiration, to ensure continued access to library eMedia resource accounts and to extend your privileges with a permanent library card. Some services, like Udemy, are not available with eCards.
Permanent Library Card
A permanent card is required to:
- Check out library materials - watch our video tutorial on using the self check out machines
- Request library materials from other library systems
- Use a Denver Public Library computer*
- Reserve museum and cultural passes
- Access the Udemy learning platform
- Reserve a Community Room
Applicants 12 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian with picture ID and proof of address to receive a full privilege library card.
* A library card is required to reserve and use library computers, with the exception of 15 minute express computers. Customers who are unable to provide proof of Colorado address may be issued a Computer User Card, valid at all DPL Locations.
Other Types of Cards
- Youth, ages 5-18, who sign up for a MY Denver Card at Denver Parks and Recreation may activate it for library use
- Businesses and Organizations may apply for a shared Group/Business card (pdf)
- Educators who reside or work in Denver may apply for an Educator Card
Lost Library Cards
If you need to replace your library card for any reason, and you use the following services, please update your account information:
- Interlibrary Loan/Request It - Register for a new Request It account with your new library card number. Interlibrary Loan staff will merge the two accounts.
- Libby: Verify your library card in the Libby app or Contact Overdrive Support for assistance.
- Kanopy: In your Kanopy account, reactivate your membership or contact Kanopy Support for assistance.
For the complete list of features and benefits see more about your library card account.