Obtaining, Checking, and Cleaning up Your Record

Most employers will run a background check before making a job offer to a prospective employee, and that check will include getting a report from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on your arrests and convictions.
Criminal records often contain errors. It’s not good enough to tell a prospective employer that the record is wrong – it may sound like you’re being untruthful, and some employers are bound by law not to hire people with certain offenses listed on their record, even if the record is incorrect. Here’s what you can do to clean up your record before an employer sees the errors.

What is Included on a CBI Criminal Report?

Your CBI criminal record will contain detailed information of arrest records based upon fingerprints provided by Colorado law enforcement agencies.

Your criminal record will NOT contain:

  • Arrests which are not supported by fingerprints.
  • Any arrests or convictions that did not occur in Colorado.
  • Warrant information, sealed records and juvenile records.

It is a myth that arrests or convictions are sealed after seven years.

Get a Copy of Your Criminal Record

If you have a credit or debit card: Go to the Criminal History Check System and click on “individuals” – then follow the instructions. You’ll get your record immediately. It will cost you $5.00.

If you don’t have a credit or debit card: To request a CBI by hand, download and print this Public Request for Criminal History Record Information, fill it out, include $13.00 (CBI does not accept checks or cash, so enclose a money order or business or cashier’s check only made out to "Colorado Bureau of Investigation" or "CBI") and mail it to:

Biometric Identification and Records Unit
Colorado Bureau of Investigation
690 Kipling St., Ste. 4000
Lakewood, CO 80215

You should receive your report in 3 days plus mailing time.

Note: disable pop-up blockers on your web browser to download the Arrest Request Form.

How to Correct Mistakes on Your Criminal Record

Entries on the CBI report may not be the final court decision — for instance, you may have been charged with a felony but were convicted of a misdemeanor. If this is the case, you may want to update the record.
Contact the CBI Identification Unit at 303-239-4208. In almost all instances you will have to contact the arresting agency or the court where you appeared to obtain written documentation of the correction, which you then show to CBI, and they update your record.

If There are Charges on Your Record That Are Not Yours

If you have a common name, or if someone gave your name at the time of their arrest, you might find things on your record that never happened. Here’s how you get those removed from your record:

Contact CBI to file a record challenge. You will need to provide specific information on what is incorrect on your record and submit fingerprints.
For questions regarding your criminal history, sealing of records, fingerprinting, or record challenges, contact Criminal Justice Information Services at 303-239-4208.