The Denver Public Library is recruiting technology volunteers to work with customers at the Sam Gary ideaLAB. Technology volunteers will work directly with the public sharing their knowledge, patience and customer service skills in a neighborhood branch environment.
The Sam Gary ideaLAB is located in the Sam Gary Branch Library and the hours of operation are:
Tuesday through Friday: 1 - 5:30 p.m.
Saturday: 12- 4:30 p.m.
Sam Gary ideaLAB technology volunteers will work with participants, sharing your knowledge, patience and customer service skills in a fast paced, fun environment.
You will assist with the use of computers and assorted digital media creation hardware and software, engaging people in coming up with their own projects.
The Sam Gary ideaLAB is an interest-based open lab. The majority of your time will be spent getting to know the people who come in and help them find how their interests intersect with the technology and tools available. You don't need to know how to use all the software or hardware in the lab but you will be expected to learn alongside people and model how to find information and new skills
Preferred Technical Skills:
Experience with any of the following: Adobe Creative Suite, music recording, video production, programming, game design, 3D printing, art, jewelry-making or electronics. Comfortable with both Mac and PC.
- Intermediate to advanced technology skills
- Desire to teach and share
- Interested in and comfortable working with Youth
- Ability to work in fast paced environment and to be patient and persistent
- Good customer skills including cultural sensitivity, and establish boundaries and
- Mutual respect
- Ability to learn new technology quickly and feel comfortable trying new methods
- Ability to troubleshoot, and experiment with trial and error
- Ability to multitask and prioritize customer requests
Training provided on:
- Orientation to Sam Gary ideaLAB model and setup
- De-escalation and customer service
- Library/Computer policies
Must be able to pass a Colorado background check if the applicant has lived in Colorado for at least two years. If an applicant has not lived in Colorado for two years, then an out of state background check will be conducted. A signed volunteer agreement and confidentiality agreement will be required.