Denver Public Library Meeting Space Policy
As an expression of its mission to create welcoming spaces where all are free to explore and connect, the Denver Public Library provides meeting spaces in the Central Library and branch libraries. While spaces are designed primarily for Denver Public Library programs and use, meeting spaces may be reserved by customers for programs and meetings on a first come first served basis. These spaces may be used by members of the community for the presentation and exchange of information and opinions of all kinds. The library makes these spaces available on equitable terms to all persons and groups, regardless of opinion or affiliation. By making a meeting space available, the library does not sponsor or endorse the views of any group using the space. The library may not be identified as a co-sponsor of a meeting without prior approval. The library is not responsible for personal items or equipment. Approved by the Library Commission, August 19, 2021.
- A library card is required to reserve community rooms.
- Minimum attendance for community room reservations is four people.
- No person or group may assign its reservation to another person or group. Cancellations will be accepted from the original applicant only.
- Community rooms can be reserved no less than 24 hours in advance of the present time, and up to 60 days out from the present date.
- Reservations are limited to four times a month per customer.
- The library has the right to preempt any reservation for library use. In the event of a cancellation, library staff will notify the responsible party with as much notice as possible.
Additional Details and Guidelines
- Private parties (baby showers, wedding showers, birthday parties, memorial services, wakes, retirement parties, graduation parties, etc.) are not permitted in branch community rooms.
- Community rooms may not be reserved or used for programs which would disturb library customers, impede library staff, endanger the library building or interfere with functions of the library.
- Organizers may charge for admission to the programs they present in meeting spaces they reserve with prior confirmation with library staff. Sales of related books, music and/or products are permitted and all such sales are the sole responsibility of the booking organization.
- Equipment, supplies or personal effects cannot be stored in the library’s facilities before or after use.
- Reservations at branch library locations are available only during normal hours of operation up to 30 minutes before closing time, and your reservation time must include all room setup, take-down, and cleanup. There will be no access to the space until the start of your reserved time. Meeting spaces must be vacated and left clean 30 minutes prior to closing time.
- If a reserved community room is not in use 15 minutes after the meeting start time, the library will make the room available to other groups.
- A representative from the reserving group is required to check in with library staff when they arrive and when they are finished in the space.
- Tables and chairs are provided. AV equipment is available at some locations; however, technical support is not provided. Office supplies are also not available.
- Free wifi is available at all Denver Public Library locations.
- Applicants may schedule time with the branch to test the equipment in the community room.
- Light refreshments may be served (coffee, doughnuts, cookies, fruit, etc.). Simple box lunches, prepackaged food and catered food with a valid catering license are allowed.
- Open flames are not allowed. Cooking or warming food is not allowed in community rooms.
- Signage is not allowed outside of the community room. Signage inside the community room may not be affixed to any surface.
- Please include the following statement on all promotional materials, including, but not limited to, signs/posters, flyers/mailings, press releases, online promotions, etc.: “This event is not sponsored by Denver Public Library. For more information, please contact [insert your organization’s contact information]."
- Rental of the entire branch cannot be accommodated.
- Library staff or representatives may enter premises at any time and on any occasion.
- The library reserves the right to charge a cleaning fee if rooms are not left clean.
- The library reserves the right to deny future community room use based on (but not limited to) reservation no-shows, remaining in community room beyond the reserved time, documented misuse of the community room or damage or mess left from use of the community room.
- Check with staff at the branch for information about parking.
- Guidelines are subject to change.
By the execution below, the applicant personally and on behalf of any group/organization/individual (the “Group”) listed above, expressly agrees to strictly comply with the following terms and conditions governing use of the requested meeting room and library Premises and further understands and acknowledges that he/she and/or the Group shall be liable to City and County of Denver (the “City”) and the Denver Public Library Commission (the “Commission”) for any failure to comply with these terms and conditions:
- The Group shall use and occupy the room only in a manner consistent with the use or activity described above.
- The Group shall use and occupy the room in a safe, careful and respectful manner, so as not to injure any persons or damage any property in, on or near the room or surrounding library premises.
- The Group shall not do any act or suffer any act to be done during use or occupancy which will in any way mar, deface, alter, injure or damage any part of the room or library premises.
- The Group shall use and occupy the room only in a manner which complies with all applicable Municipal, State and Federal laws, ordinances, executive orders and rules and regulations.
- The City and the Commission shall not be responsible for any Group property while on library premises and the Group hereby releases and discharges the City and the Commission from any and all liability or damages associated with the occupancy or use of the library premises.
- Immediately upon demand, the Group shall pay the cost of any and all damage to the library premises, or loss or theft of property done or caused by the Group or any of its officers, agents, employees, guests or invitees.
- The City and its employees are exclusively authorized to manage and control all library premises and, as such, shall establish and enforce any further rules as may be attached hereto or provided to the Group prior to occupancy or use of any meeting room.
- The City reserves the right to enter any reserved meeting room at any time and for any purpose and further reserves the right, although do not assume a duty, to eject any objectionable person or persons from the library premises. The Group or any guest or invitee does hereby release and discharge the City and the Commission from any liability or damages associated with the exercise of City authority.
- The Group shall defend, release, and indemnify the City and the Commission from all damages, costs, expenses and losses arising out of any liability or claim of liability for any injury to any persons or property sustained or claimed to have been sustained by reason of the use or occupation of the meeting room by the Group or by any act or omission of the Group or any of its officers, agents, employees, guests or invitees during or associated with such use of occupancy; provided however, that the Group need not indemnify the City or the Commission from damages proximately caused by the sole negligence of the City and the Commission.
I, the applicant, further understand and acknowledge that the City is relying on the representations and commitments contained herein in accepting this reservation and in the event the applicant is without the necessary authority to bind the Group to the terms and conditions set forth herein he/she shall be personally liable to the City and the Commission for all obligations and duties of the Group specified herein.