The Denver Public Library is recruiting technology volunteers to work with customers at the Hampden ideaLAB. Technology volunteers will work directly with the public sharing their knowledge, patience and customer service skills in a neighborhood branch environment.
The Hampden ideaLAB is located in the Hampden Branch Library and the hours of operation are:
Tuesday through Friday: 1 - 5:30 p.m.
Saturday: 12- 4:30 p.m.
Hampden ideaLAB technology volunteers will work with participants, sharing your knowledge, patience and customer service skills in a fast paced, fun environment.
You will assist with the use of computers and assorted digital media creation hardware and software, engaging people in coming up with their own projects.
The Hampden ideaLAB is an interest-based open lab. The majority of your time will be spent getting to know the people who come in and help them find how their interests intersect with the technology and tools available. You don't need to know how to use all the software or hardware in the lab but you will be expected to learn alongside people and model how to find information and new skills.
Preferred Technical Skills:
Experience with any of the following: Adobe Creative Suite, music recording, video production, programming, game design, 3D printing, art, jewelry-making or electronics. Comfortable with both Mac and PC, graphic design and laser cutting.
- Intermediate to advanced technology skills
- Desire to teach and share
- Interested in and comfortable working with Youth
- Ability to work in fast paced environment and to be patient and persistent
- Good customer skills including cultural sensitivity, and establish boundaries and
- Mutual respect
- Ability to learn new technology quickly and feel comfortable trying new methods
- Ability to troubleshoot, and experiment with trial and error
- Ability to multitask and prioritize customer requests
Training provided on:
- Orientation to Hampden ideaLAB model and setup
- De-escalation and customer service
- Library/Computer policies
Successful completion of background check and shadowing process is required. Unable to accept court ordered participants in this volunteer assignment. Must be 18 years of age.