A strong community where everyone thrives.
Together, we create welcoming spaces where all are free to explore and connect.
- WELCOMING We make our resources, services and expertise accessible for all, recognize the inherent dignity in each person, and provide safe places where everyone can be themselves.
- CURIOSITY We foster a culture of exploration, innovation and forward thinking by creating environments that support learning and growth.
- CONNECTION We are neighbors. We foster relationships, listen and act to build and strengthen our community. We bring people together to share information, ideas and experiences.
- EQUITY We work to change inequitable practices, structures and policies, and attitudes that drive them, to provide opportunities for every person in our community to thrive. As we do so, we actively examine our roles in perpetuating oppressive systems.
- STEWARDSHIP We are accountable to our community, using our resources responsibly. We lead with honesty and integrity, protect privacy and preserve and share the full history of our Denver community.
A Strong Library Creates a Strong Community
The Denver Public Library completed a strategic planning process in 2021 to refresh its vision and mission and established a bold plan for how to best support Denver’s dynamic community. Equity is an important and necessary part of the agenda for the City and County of Denver and it is a key part of the library’s core values. As one of the few places in the city where all people, from all backgrounds and life circumstances are welcome to come free of charge, the library is a vital community resource and an important part of how we can create and grow opportunity for all Denver residents.
Denver voters passed measure 2i in November 2022 providing DPL with additional funding. Learn more on the Strong Library, Strong Denver page. As an independent agency of the City – neither fully a part of the City, nor fully independent – DPL is facing a unique set of governance challenges that hinder its ability to deliver on its mission. Last fall, DPL Friends Foundation convened a community task force to assess the financial resources and governance model DPL needs to fulfill this new mission and meet the demands of a changing Denver. Please read this memo to see the task force recommendations.
We invite you to share your thoughts about the recommendations set forth by the community stakeholder group. Fill out this form and tell us what you think.
If you have any questions regarding this effort, please contact Jeff Riley, Executive Director of the Friends Foundation or Erika R. Martinez, Director of Communications & Community Engagement of Denver Public Library.
About the Library
The History of DPL
Annual Report and Budget
2023 Action Plan (pdf)
2021-23 Strategic Roadmap
2022 Youth Services 3 Year Outlook (pdf)
2018 Our Denver Report (pdf)
Facilities Master Plan (pdf)