What is your first thought when you think of libraries?
I recently had to create an elevator speech on library advocacy. It is my thought that many people aren't aware of all the fantastic services the Denver Public Library has to offer. Here's my take on what your library can do for you, in 30 seconds or less:
- DPL is better than...your favorite bookstore: Ok, this one is an easy one because most people usually associate libraries with books. But, unlike our for-profit counterparts, our books are free. Our audio books and ebooks are, too.
- DPL is better than...where you rent movies: Want to catch the latest movie / tv series / documentary? Chances are we've got what you're looking for. We've even got eFlicks.
- DPL is better than...your local copy store: Why pay an hourly fee to use a computer when you get 120 minutes of computer use for free each day at any of our DPL branches. Need to learn Word or Excel or how to do a resume? We've got a class for that.
- DPL is better than...that online music store: Want to download music for free...legally?! Check out Freegal, our new music database. Freegal allows you to legally download three songs per week. All of our branches also have music cds on the shelf. Borrow a disc and listen to it before making the committment to buy it. [Update: Freegal is no longer available as of 1/31/12, but check out our streaming music.]
- DPL is more than...your favorite internet search engine: Yes, anyone can Google information but only trained and skillful librarians can help you sort out the junk so that you're left with the good info. We also provide access to research materials including databases and journal articles.
But wait, there's more! DPL also provides weekly events and classes all for free!
So, you've got three floors. How would you sell what you do? We've got a book for that.
What I love most about the library is the inspiration that it gives me! Have you seen the I Made it with the Library page (http://denverlibrary.org/content/i-made-it-library)? It is full of great projects and links to the books that helped people create them.
Yes, what a great comment. I am not very crafty but I'm hoping to be able to post something on the I Made It page very soon! Stay tuned...
Love the library....what has it done for me......widened my world, helped me keep the little bit of sanity I have..... I am very grateful for DPL and the Ross-Broadway Branch with Peggy and the rest of the wonderful staff.
Glad we can be there for you! I am going to pass along your comments to the folks at Broadway. I think they would like to hear them.
I love the Denver public library!!!! It is so easy to use and I'm almost never needing to pay fines because of the email reminders. I used to use the kindle app for books because I didn't want to fill my apartment with books, but DPL is FREE and I get to read a real book.
BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GOT RID OF FREEGAL!! DPL SUCKS.
Thank you for adding my requested books to the library! It was really a surprise to find emails just a day or two later saying that they were available and on hold for me.