What Have We Done For You Lately
I recently had to create an elevator speech on library advocacy. It is my thought that many people aren't aware of all the fantastic services the Denver Public Library has to offer. Here's my take on what your library can do for you, in 30 seconds or less:
- DPL is better than...your favorite bookstore: Ok, this one is an easy one because most people usually associate libraries with books. But, unlike our for-profit counterparts, our books are free. Our audio books and ebooks are, too.
- DPL is better than...where you rent movies: Want to catch the latest movie / tv series / documentary? Chances are we've got what you're looking for. We've even got eFlicks.
- DPL is better than...your local copy store: Why pay an hourly fee to use a computer when you get 120 minutes of computer use for free each day at any of our DPL branches. Need to learn Word or Excel or how to do a resume? We've got a class for that.
- DPL is better than...that online music store: Want to download music for free...legally?! Check out Freegal, our new music database. Freegal allows you to legally download three songs per week. All of our branches also have music cds on the shelf. Borrow a disc and listen to it before making the committment to buy it. [Update: Freegal is no longer available as of 1/31/12, but check out our streaming music.]
- DPL is more than...your favorite internet search engine: Yes, anyone can Google information but only trained and skillful librarians can help you sort out the junk so that you're left with the good info. We also provide access to research materials including databases and journal articles.
But wait, there's more! DPL also provides weekly events and classes all for free!
So, you've got three floors. How would you sell what you do? We've got a book for that.
The Central Library will close early at 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 10 to prepare for the Booklovers Ball. More...