I was recently introduced to the album, Good Things by Aloe Blacc. Hidden among his soulful original gems is a fantastic cover of Femme Fatal by The Velvet Underground. The genius of this cover is that it doesn't sound like a cover. It has the feeling of the original but sounds completely different. That got me thinking about other cover songs that I love.
Here are a few of my favorite covers:
- Femme Fatale by The Velvet Underground, covered by Aloe Blacc.
- Redemption Song by Bob Marley, covered by Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros.
- You Shook Me by Willie Dixon, covered by Led Zeppelin.
- One More Cup of Coffee by Bob Dylan, covered by White Stripes.
- Take Me to the River by Al Green, covered by Talking Heads.
- The Man Who Sold the World by David Bowie, covered by Nirvana.
- Teenage Kicks by The Undertones, covered by Nouvelle Vague.
- Cupid by Sam Cooke, covered by Amy Winehouse.
- China Girl by Iggy Pop, covered by David Bowie.
Okay, this is kind of cheating since the song was co-written by Iggy Pop and David Bowie, but Pop recorded it first.
- Tainted Love by Gloria Jones*, covered by Soft Cell.
*Not available in the DPL catalog. Ask for it via Request It or give it a listen on YouTube.
And one cover that I will never like as much as the original: I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston. Houston's version is more famous but I much prefer the quiet, country original by Dolly Parton.
I want more, tell me your favorite covers.
I love hearing great cover songs. Here are some I prefer the second (or third) time around.
Wonderwall - Ryan Adams (Oasis)
I Shot the Sheriff - Bob Marley & The Wailers (Eric Clapton)
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
Hurt - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Cat Power (The Rolling Stones)
Go - Sparklehorse with The Flaming Lips (Daniel Johnston)
Love Hurts - Gram Parsons with Emmylou Harris (The Everly Brothers, then Nazareth)
Loser - Cracker (Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead)
Nice choices! I can't wait to give these a listen.
Townes Van Zandt wrote so many amazing songs which were later covered by greats such as Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson. Townes is one of my favorites.
Anything by Cat Power on The Covers Record
House of the Rising Sun by The Be Good Tanyas
Whole album Mermaid Avenue by Billy Bragg and Wilco (Woody Guthrie)
Devil Town by Bright Eyes (Late Great Daniel Johnston)
Only made it through D on my iTunes! Thanks.
Nice list! Mermaid Avenue is amazing! Can't wait to listen to the others, especially The Be Good Tanyas.
Blue Floyd is a great cover band. You can check them out on YouTube for sure.
This blog is pretty interesting, will add a bookmark, thanks.