I confess--I often judge books by their covers. That is, I'm quickly drawn to things that have great design and a sense of style. So while I haven't seen a single episode of HBO's acclaimed series Boardwalk Empire, about Prohibition-era Atlantic City, I love the glitz, glamour, and gaudiness of the 1920s that it depicts.
If you've seen Boardwalk Empire, or even if, like me, you haven't, you might be interested in these books and movies related to the Roaring Twenties, Prohibition, and the Mob that ruled it all.
- Boardwalk Empire by Nelson Johnson
- Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition by Daniel Okrent
- Speakeasy: Classic Cocktails Reimagined by Jason Kosmas and Dushan Zaric
- 20s: All American Ads edited by Jim Heimann
- Prohibition; 13 Years that Changed America by Edward Behr
- Al Capone and the Roaring Twenties by David C. King
- The Night Club Era by Stanley Walker
- The Roaring Twenties
- The Untouchables
- The Mafia
- The Cotton Club
- Public Enemy
- Miller's Crossing