The kids are heading back to school and the summer sunlight is waning, but that doesn't mean family outdoor fun can't continue.
The benefits of outdoor play for children are numerous. Everything from enhanced brain development, social aptitude, physical fitness, and environmental appreciation have been linked to getting outside. With cooler temperatures on their way and fall colors just around the corner, here are some great books to help you leave the house and enjoy our amazing natural surroundings with your kids.
- 15 Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of Your House and Connect With Your Kids by Rebecca P. Cohen
- Outdoor Parents, Outdoor Kids: A Guide to Getting Your Kids Active in the Great Outdoors by Eugene Buchanan
- It's a Jungle Out There!: 52 Nature Adventures for City Kids by Jennifer Ward
- Babes in the Woods: Hiking, Camping, Boating with Babies and Young Children by Jennifer Aist
- Let's Go Outside!: Outdoor Activities and Projects to Get You and Your Kids Closer to Nature by Jennifer Ward
- I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature by Jennifer Ward
- Best Hikes with Children in Colorado by Maureen Keilty
- Just for Little Legs, Boulder: Family Hikes with Children by Bette Erickson