Are you looking for a modern vampire story to really sink your teeth into?
- The Nymphos of Rocky Flats: A Novel by Mario Acevedo. PI Felix Gomez, an ex-soldier who became a vampire while serving in Iraq, uses his supernatural powers to solve mysteries that befuddle mere mortals.
- Minion by L.A. Banks. Damali Richards is the most important vampire hunter in a millennium. Dark forces strive to slay Damali before she comes of age and gains her full powers. First of the Vampire Huntress Legend Series.
- Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. Mercy Thompson, one of the few remaining "walkers", is a mechanic caught up in a conspiracy involving werewolves, vampires and all manner of lesser fae. First in the Mercy Thompson Series.
- Touch the Dark by Karen Chance. Cassandra Palmer is a gifted clairvoyant has been hiding for three years since she escaped the master vampire who raised her after murdering her parents. The more she learns, the more powerful vampires want her dead. First of the Cassandra Palmer Series.
- Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson. Betsy Taylor wakes up after being flattened by an SUV in a tacky coffin wearing cheap knock-off shoes. Betsy is an anomaly: a vampire who doesn't burn in sunlight, can fight the urge to feed, and is not repulsed by religious articles, all of which may make her the prophesied Queen of the Vampires. First of the Queen Betsy Series.
- The Strain by Guillermo del Toro. A vampiric virus swarms New York City. Only a small band of unlikely heroes stand in its way. First of the Strain Trilogy.
- Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth. Nathaniel is "the President's vampire" and is sworn to protect him against his many enemies, mortal and immortal.
- Fat White Vampire Blues by Andrew Fox. Taxi-driving vampire Jules Duchon weighs 350 pounds and is still gaining from drinking the blood of the citizens of New Orleans, whose rich, unhealthy diets are teeming with fatty lipids.
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. When Abraham Lincoln's mother is struck down by a vampire, he tirelessly vows to protect the country not only from political foes, but supernatural ones as well.
- Night Rising by Crystal Green. Dawn Madison, a 24-year-old stunt woman, is drawn into battle with supernatural forces from La-La Land's "Underground" when her P.I .father, Frank, disappears. First of the Vampire Babylon Series.
- Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton. Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law - as long as they behave. First of the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series.
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. Sookie enjoys dating a vampire because she can’t read his mind. Of course, the worst parts are the violence and uncertainty. But with vampires as a newly emerged legal minority, you have cut them some slack. First of the Southern Vampire Series.
- Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. Rachel Morgan is no longer thrilled with her career as a bounty hunter for Inderland Security, until she comes up with the idea of bagging the biggest Brimstone dealer in Cincinnati. And with the help of her pixy bodyguard and living vampire roommate, she just might succeed. First of the Rachel Morgan Series.
- The Cowboy and the Vampire: A Darkly Romantic Mystery by Clark Hays and Kathleen McFall. True love battles sinister forces as two unlikely people fall in love.
- You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore. Young vampires in love and on the lam, hilariously negotiate the rough terrain of undead love.
I love the Felix Gomez series, they are funny, and smart. I like how the author makes good use of local details in the setting and how it combines with the vampire lore. Very entertaining.
I've also read You Suck: a Love Story. The books in this series are hilarious. They totally lampoon the very staid, reverent vampire lore and turn it on its head.
Nice to see our book reviewed on your site. We think it's a crackling good bit of fiction with the perfect blend of humor, romance and action. Hope new readers enjoy it. Our website has got loads of fresh content worth checking out ...
Undead and Unwed was really funny and had a great flow to it. It was a book i couldn't put down and the series was just as exciting.