Did you know that Colorado has its very own Poet Laureate? David Mason is our newest poet laureate. Appointed to a 4-year term, Mason is committed to bringing poetry to each of Colorado's colorful counties.
In addition to being our Poet Laureate, Mason is a professor at Colorado College. His latest work, Ludlow, tells the story of a few immigrants in southern Colorado and the Ludlow Massacre of 1914. It was named best poetry book of 2007 by the Contemporary Poetry Review and the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.
Works by Mason include:
Former Colorado Poet Laureates include:
- Alice Polk Hill (1919-1921)
- Nellie Burget Miller (1923-1952)
- Margaret Clyde Robinson (1952-1954)
- Milford E. Shields (1954-1975)
- Thomas Hornsby Ferril (1979-1988)
- Mary Crow (1996-2010)