Can't afford a trip to a far off land right now? Join us at the newly renovated Ross Cherry Creek Branch Library on Tuesday, July 27 at noon, for delectable food of the region and riveting conversation during Lunch Travels: India! Visit Mumbai, Pune and the Arabian coast as your guide shares pictures, travel tips and anecdotes from her recent adventure.
Did you know that there are about 3,000 languages, including dialects, spoken in India? The library's language database, Mango Languages, can help you learn the national language of India, Hindu, or even Urdu!
Travel to India:
Memoirs of India:
- Leaving India: My Family's Journey from Five Villages to Five Continents by Minal Hajratwala
- Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India by Madhur Jaffrey
- Monsoon Diary: A Memoir with Recipes by Shoba Narayan
- 660 Curries: The Gateway to the World of Indian Cooking by Raghavan Iyer
- Ginger and Ganesh: Adventures in Indian Cooking, Culture and Love by Nani Power
- Everyday Indian: 100 Fast, Fresh and Healthy Recipes by Bal Arenson
- Modern Spice: New Generation of Inspired Indian Flavors by Monica Bhide
- 5 Spices, 50 Dishes: Simple Indian Recipes Using Five Common Spices by Ruta Kahate
I personally love Indian food and was resigned to only having it out at restaurants like Little India, but discovered a miraculous tikka masala spice mix from the Savory Spice Shop and since they provide the recipe too, there was no way even an amateur chef like me could fail! What is your favorite Indian dish to make at home? Which Indian restaurant serves your favorite dish?
Fiction more your cup of tea? The Illustrious Fiction of India list was written for you!