Lest They Be Forgotten
Submitted by Tara on May 27, 2010 - 1:28pm
Traditionally, people celebrate the lives of these heroes by decorating their graves with flowers or flags and having parades.
- On Hallowed Ground: The Story of Arlington National Cemetery by Robert M. Poole - From the beginnings of this national treasure to it's day-in-day-out operations, this is an enlightening peak behind the scenes and into the past.
- Where Valor Rests: Arlington National Cemetery by The National Geographic Society - Featuring many photos of military funerals, this is a poignant look into the ceremonies and services that honor these heroes.
- Sacred Ground: A Tribute to America's Veterans compiled by Tom Ruck - With photographs of military cemeteries from across the country and historical speeches which grant perspective, this book is a sweeping look of untold numbers of fallen heroes.
- The Mighty Fallen: Our Nation's Greatest War Memorials by Larry Bond and f-stop Fitzgerald - Covering the Revolutionary War to Vietnam, the color and black-and-white photographs inside this beautiful book take you to many of our greatest war memorials.
- Etched in Stone: Enduring Words from Our Nation's Monuments by Ryan Coonerty - At each of the national moments, famous and not-so-famous words have been etched in stone to commemorate the lives lost, this book celebrates each and every one.
The Central Library will close early at 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 10 to prepare for the Booklovers Ball. More...