Addiction is in the news and so is recovery.
You don't have to be an addict to have addiction touch your life. Family members, friends even co-workers may be struggling with addiction to food, drugs, or other destructive behaviors. Comedians, especially those who have struggled with addiction, can often say what others would never dare to voice. They shine a light on the painful subject and infuse laughter in the darkest moments of addiction. Comedians Chris Farley and John Belushi are reminders of the deadly consequences of addiction. Below are a few of my favorite comedians who are still "trudging the road of happy destiny" to a sober, clean, or abstinent life.
- Craig Ferguson - American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot
- Russell Brand - My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-up
- Louie Anderson - The F-Word: How to Survive Your Family
- Richard Lewis - The Other Great Depression
- Jeff Garlin - My Footprint: Carrying the Weight of the World
Denver Now: Need some laughs? Rocky Mountain Roundup presents Dave Dubroff: Night of Laughter in Recovery on Monday, April 18 at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. For more information and tickets, click here.