You may be surprised to learn, as I was, that November 17th is National Homemade Bread Day. Bread has been a staple of our diets for almost 6000 years!
Some great ways to celebrate National Homemade Bread Day:
- Make some bread!
- Visit one of Denver's many wonderful bakeries! Buffalo Doughboy is one of my personal favorites. What's yours?
- Feed bread to ducks in the park!
- Learn about breads from all over the world! Naan, pita, baguettes, and fry bread are all delicious types of bread!
Books about Bread:
- 52 Loaves: One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth, Meaning, and a Perfect Crust by William Alexander
- 200 Fast & Easy Artisan Breads: No Knead, One Bowl by Judith Fertig
- Baking Artisan Bread: 10 Expert Formulas for Baking Better Bread at Home by Ciril Hitz
- Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers by Daniel Leader with Lauren Chattman
- Tartine Bread by Chad Robertson
- River Cottage Bread Handbook by Daniel Stevens
- 300 Best Bread Machine Recipes by Donna Washburn & Heather Butt
Gluten-free? No problem!
- The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes by Bette Hagman
- Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois
- Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book by Jennifer Katzinger
- 125 Best Gluten-Free Bread Machine Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt
- The Best-Ever Wheat-and Gluten-Free Baking Book: Over 200 Recipes for Muffins, Cookies, Breads, and More by Mary Ann Wenniger with Mace Wenniger