Create a magical miniature garden space
A miniature garden can be created around the base of a tree or in any type of container, but something vintage or unusual can add to the charm. All it takes is some imagination and creativity. Miniature gardens take less time and money than real ones, but give similar satisfaction. You can utilize miniature arbors and fences, even tiny furniture and pots to "theme" your space or rely totally on miniature plants and herbs to create visual impact.
There is something very relaxing about creating a complete garden in a setting where you control the boundaries. Weeding can be accomplished in 5 minutes when your garden space measures in inches or feet and not yards. You can create the garden of your dreams in a container or miniature garden space and not break the bank. It's surprising what a little ingenuity and creativity can produce. Re-purpose a vintage container, utilize rocks and shells you've collected and create fences from twigs. Making it personal is what makes it fun.
This activity can be solitary or shared and is a perfect introduction to gardening for children. Gather your tools, collect your props and see what develops and what you will attract. At the very least you will have butterflies and earthworms and if you are lucky a gnome or fairy may take up residence.
The library has a number of books on container or small space gardening and a few on fairies and gnomes to help you get started:
- Beautiful Tabletop Gardens by Janice Eaton Kilby
- Contain Yourself: 101 Fresh Ideas for Fantastic Container Gardens by Kerstin Ouellet
- Fairy Island: An Enchanted Tour of the Homes of the Little Folk by Laura Martin
- Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden as You Grow Older by Sydney Eddison
- Gardens to Go: Creating & Designing a Container Garden by Sydney Eddison
- Gnomeland: An Introduction to the Little People by Margaret Egleton
- Kids' Container Gardening: Year-Round Projects for Inside and Out by Cindy Krezel
- Small Space Container Gardens: Transform Your Balcony, Porch, or Patio with Fruits, Flowers, Foliage and Herbs by Fern Richardson
- Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical Miniature Worlds by Amy Bryant Aiello & Kate Bryant
- Tips for Container Gardening: 300 Great Ideas for Growing Flowers, Vegetables & Herbs by the Editors and Contributors of Fine Gardening
All DPL locations will close early at 4 p.m. Nov. 25, closed all day Nov. 26. Westwood closed Nov. 26-29. More...