Dining, Mad Men Style
Each week, we not only get together to watch the latest antics of Don, Peggy, Roger, and Betty, but we also eat and drink like it's 1964. A recent menu involved a champagne jello salad, meatloaf, and Grasshopper Pie, complete with hors d'oeuvres of a cheeseball with Ritz crackers, celery sticks with cream cheese, and green olives with pimientos. The following titles contain some vintage recipes to help you get dining and entertaining a la Mad Men:
- Vintage Cocktails
- Classic American Food Without Fuss
- American Food Writing: An Anthology with Classic Recipes
- Jell-O: A Biography
- Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
- I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence
- The Columbia Guide to America in the 1960s
Of course, you can check out previous seasons of Mad Men, along with the soundtracks:
What's your favorite vintage recipe? Are there any foods you remember loving or hating from decades gone by?
The Central Library will close early at 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 10 to prepare for the Booklovers Ball. More...