Have you ever noticed the fantastic collection of cooking magazines at your local library? I'm kind of addicted to them. This week's recipe review will be picked from your favorite of three: Bon Appetit, Cook's Illustrated or Cooking Light. Take the poll and help me choose!
Right after I gave birth to my son, I found it difficult to complete an entire novel so I started checking out the library's magazines. Reading in short spurts; I could do that! And what a great variety. I especially appreciate the culinary magazines:
- Bon Appetit
- Cook's Country
- America's Test Kitchen
- Cooking Light
- Food and Wine
- Cook's Illustrated
- Gourmet (old issues; I miss you Gourmet!)
- Food Network Magazine
- Martha Stewart Living
- Cocina Facil
- Everyday Food
- Taste of Home
- Every Day with Rachael Ray
- Fine Cooking
Now, as many of you know, grabbing the most current issue off the shelf is somewhat tricky. I've tried everything short of bribing the clerks in Receiving to try to get my hands on the latest version of Cook's Country but it always comes down to the luck of the draw. Yes, even for library employees.
Fortunately, there is no shortage of this genre on the shelves at any one time and I've found that grabbing the September 2009 version is just as fruitful. I'm still getting seasonal, tested recipes with delicious looking pictures and helpful cooking techniques. And, I'm saving over $260 in subscription costs a year! (Unfortunately, Gourmet is no longer being published. I couldn't add the cost of those in but they are just priceless.)
This week's recipe review will come from one of my three favorite magazines:
- Cooking Light (May 2010) This issue is full of recipes that include fresh veggies. And since the farmer's markets are at their peak, I'm all about the veggies. And this one includes Mark Bittman's Almost Meatless Sloppy Joes...YUM!
- Bon Appetit (May 2010) Includes recipes for Oven Fried Chicken (end of summer picnic anyone?), Southwest Rice and Corn Salad with Lemon Dressing, and Cantal Cheese Tart.
- Cook's Illustrated (August 2010) Are you ready for this? Creamy Gazpacho Andaluz, Sichuan-Style Stir-Fried Shrimp with Zucchini, Red Bell Pepper and Peanuts, or Charcoal-Grilled Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Black Forest Ham and Gruyere are just a few of the mouthwatering recipes in this month's issue.
Make your choice in the poll to the left. I'm looking forward to finding out which sounds the most delicious to all of you!