Are You Chicken?
The Food Producing Animals ordinance took effect June 24th and allows residents to raise 8 chickens or ducks and 2 dwarf goats after obtaining a one-time license. See the details here. Curious about the potential joys and pitfalls of having backyard livestock? Grab your overalls and get started with these great resources.
- A Chicken in Every Yard: The Urban Farm Store's Guide to Chicken Keeping by Robert Litt
- The Chicken Whisperers Guide to Keeping Chickens by Andy Schneider
- Homemade Living: Keeping Chickens with Ashley English by Ashley English
- The Field Guide to Chickens by Pam Percy
- Keeping Pet Chickens by Johannes Paul
- Chicken Coops by Judy Pangman
- Building Chicken Coops for Dummies by Todd Brock
- The Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals
- Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread
- Made From Scratch by Jenna Woginrich
- The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather
- The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell
- Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs, and Parenting by Michael Perry
The Central Library will close early at 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 10 to prepare for the Booklovers Ball. More...