The library and other organizations like the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, the Dumb Friends League and the Denver Zoo, rely on volunteer involvement to assist in many important and fun tasks! The experiences you have while volunteering will help you know what kind of career you might be interested in pursuing. The skills you learn will help you land your dream job by giving you valuable work experience that will help you when you need to answer those tough interview questions. If college is in your future, your college application will be stronger if you can include volunteer experience with your other extra-curricular activities. Choosing an experience that you find personally meaningful makes participation even more rewarding!
Still not sure volunteering is for you? Read one of these books from the library to help you decide!
- Volunteering: The Ultimate Teen Guide by Kathlyn Gay
- The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations to Enrich Your Life by Pam Grout
- Young Revolutionaries Who Rock: An Insider's Guide to Saving the World One Revolution at a Time by Dallas Jessup
- The Give-Back Solution: Create a Better World with Your Time, Talents, and Travel (Whether You Have $10 or $10,000) by Susan Skog
If reading a novel is more your style, try one of these great books featuring a teen volunteer as a main character!
- Straydog by Kathe Koja
- Flyaway by Helen Landalf
- Peace, Love and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle
- How to Build a House: A Novel by Dana Reinhardt
- The Outside of a Horse by Ginny Rorby