It’s that time of year again (Halloween! Wait... I mean Christmas!). Time to update your gadget collection (or a loved one’s if that’s more your style). We’ve got a couple of classes coming up for those of you who are interested in brushing up on what type of tablets, smartphones, and gadgets are out there.
- Which Gadget is Right for You? (Central Library, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 16) – Come in with questions or just listen as we talk about the pros and cons of different eReaders, tablets, and smartphones.
Make sure to check out the "Which Gadget is Right for You?" classes at some of our branch locations:
- There will be a class at Broadway on November 23 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- There will be a class at Decker on December 6 from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m..
- And finally, there will be a class at Smiley on Wednesday, November 20 from 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Ask the Gadget Guy! (Central Library, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays, November 23, December 7 and 21) – Having trouble with your new phone or tablet? Want to know about the latest Gadgets? Not sure where to start? Drop in and Ask the Gadget Guy.
And, if you’re looking for gadget reviews from tech professionals (and not so tech professionals):
- Anandtech.com: For multi-page hardware and software reviews. They give new meaning to the word in-depth.
- Arstechnica.com: Writes great, approachable reviews (as well as a bevy of interesting articles).
- Newegg.com: Sells all the fancy new fangled electronic jig-a-ma-doos (I just made that word up). It's also a great site to read customer feedback!
I hope your holidays are electric this year!
My struggle is having different tech stuff across platforms. What is the best tool to organize my bookmarks so I can access them in a Mac or PC environment? Thanks for your help.
Howdy Struggling (cool name!),
Organizing your bookmarks is easier if you're using the same browser (like Firefox, or Chrome, or Opera) across your different platforms.
There's a neat article at howtogeek.com that talks about how to sync your browser information across different devices: http://www.howtogeek.com/139179/how-to-sync-your-browser-data-in-any-br…
Most modern browsers include some sort of way to sync your bookmarks.
If you have any trouble you can always stop by the Ask the Gadget Guy! lab as well!
Thanks for the suggestions!