At DPL's Nonprofit Center, we often help small nonprofits with resources such as the Colorado Grants Guide and the Foundation Directory Online. But blogs are also a great source of quick information if you'd like to increase your fundraising skills, learn marketing strategies or just be inspired. Here's a list from some of the best professionals in the field:
- Want to know how to use hashtags effectively? Check out digital marketing expert John Haydon's blog post "Hashtags 101 - A Primer for Nonprofits," just one example from what many consider the Cadillac of nonprofit blogs. Step-by-step strategies for marketing your organization in the digital age are available on subjects including fundraising, donor communication, email and Facebook marketing, and website design. There's even an extensive section with blogs about nonprofit blogging.
- Grantspace, the online learning community from the Foundation Center, provides free online classes and an extensive selection of self-help tools, as well as a blog that focuses on grantseeking and fundraising planning. Recent examples include "Program Evaluation that Works" and "Organizing Your Board to Get Things Done."
- Storytelling is an essential part of fundraising, especially for small or new organizations that want to create major impact and cultivate donors without spending a lot of money. The Storytelling Nonprofit tells you how, with posts such as "Storytelling Tips for Small Nonprofits" and "Telling a Happy or Sad Story Aren't Your Only Options".
- Guidestar, which maintains an open database with profiles on 2.7 million active nonprofit organizations, also features topical posts such as “Does This Board Member Spark Joy? How to Tidy Your Organization Using the KonMari Method" and "9 Ways to Engage and Motivate Your Board Members to Raise Money."
- If you're wondering how savvy you are about social media, check out posts such as Whole Whale's Quiz: What's Your Social Media IQ? or How to Grow Your Email List: 13 Tips that Work. Along with their entertaining blog posts, they also offer a good selection of podcasts.
- In addition to their very cool portable kiosks that allow in-person credit card donations, Dipjar has some great blogs, many of which focus on donor cultivation and retention, such as "5 Ways to Make Your Donors Feel Special" and "3 Big Mistakes to Avoid with Your First Charity Gala."
- Future Fundraising Now offers a succinct new post nearly every day, focusing on tips for donor management and fundraising. Popular series include Stupid Nonprofit Ads, Uncle Maynard's Treasure Trove of Direct Mail Knowledge, and Fundraising Hell: Jeff's Inferno.
If you'd like to learn more about how the library can help your nonprofit, please contact the Nonprofit Center. Or, join us June 11 for Introduction to Finding Grants at the Ross-University Hills branch library.
Questions? Ask Reference Services or call 720-865-1363 today!