Denver Public Library to increase hours by 40% in 2013
What you can expect at the Denver Public Library upon final approval of the 2013 budget:
- All branches will be open a minimum of 48 hours per week.
- All branches will have two evening hours (with the exception of Westwood Branch, which will be open Saturday plus the same weekday hours as the Westwood Community Center, where it is located).
- Central will be open 56 hours per week with Saturday morning hours restored.
- Weekend hours will be added at several branches.
- We will be increasing our staffing level including a combination of increased hours for current part-time staff and hiring for new positions. Job openings will be posted on our website once the 2013 budget is approved by City Council.
- The new hours will be phased in beginning in January 2013, as it will take some time to hire the needed staff. We estimate that all locations will be operating with their new hours 3-4 months after we can begin the hiring process.
We are thrilled that 2A allows us to open our doors more to better serve our customers. We also are aware that the hours expansion will increase our need for funds for technology, programs, and collections, not covered under 2A. As such, we will continue to pursue private and public funds to close this gap.
Stay tuned for more information about the expansion of library hours and what you can expect at your neighborhood branch.
The Central Library will close early at 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 10 to prepare for the Booklovers Ball. More...