Now that the whole snow thing is out of the way, it's time to think about summer. Colorado hosts some amazing music festivals. Big and small, single day and weekend affairs, there is something for almost everyone to enjoy.
To kick off the summer, my family is trying out Meadowgrass Music Festival near Colorado Springs on Memorial Day weekend. In its 6th year, Meadowgrass may be smaller (and more affordable) than it's Planet Bluegrass rivals, but it's beginning to draw larger crowds and a notable lineup. This year features Blitzen Trapper, Dawes, Todd Snider, Sera Cahoone, Anais Mitchell, Joe Pug, and up-and-coming local artist, Patrick Dethlefs. Camping permits are sold out, but day passes are still available.
Here are some other festivals throughout our beautiful state:
- Sonic Bloom :: June 13-16 :: Georgetown :: Colorado's largest electronic music festival
- Palisade Bluegrass & Roots :: June 14-16 :: Palisade :: Featuring Justin Townes Earle, The Devil Makes Three, and Paper Bird
- Country Jam :: June 20-23 :: Grand Junction :: Featuring Kid Rock, Pistol Annies, Montgomery Gentry, and Rascal Flatts
- Telluride Bluegrass :: June 20-23 :: Telluride :: The granddaddy of bluegrass festivals in one of the most gorgeous venues - Mumford & Sons, Emmylou Harris, String Cheese Incident, Punch Brothers, Dispatch, and Jackson Browne.
- Westword Music Showcase :: June 22 :: Denver :: Local and national bands performing at dozens of venues downtown and a main stage one block from Central Library - Featuring Trampled by Turtles, Nick Waterhouse and P.O.S.
- Wanderlust :: July 4-7 :: Copper Mountain :: Music, yoga, and food including sets by Moby
- Underground Music Showcase :: July 18-21 :: Denver :: The closest thing Denver has to SXSW. Over 350 performances by local bands in 4 days with a few national acts thrown in too including Cults, Mudhoney, Lord Huron, and The Fresh & Onlys
- RockyGrass :: July 26-28 :: Lyons :: Featuring Del McCoury, Jerry Douglas, Keller Williams, and The Carolina Chocolate Drops
- Telluride Jazz :: August 2-4 :: Telluride :: Featuring John Scofield, Galactic, Michelle Ndegeocello, and Stanley Clarke
- Folks :: August 16-18 :: Lyons :: Featuring Patty Griffin, John Butler Trio, John Prine, and Colin Meloy
- Chipotle Cultivate :: August 17 :: City Park - Denver :: Free festival of music and food featuring Cold War Kids (and more to be announced)
- NedFest :: August 23-25 :: Nederland :: Music and arts featuring Ralph Stanley
Would love to see you add high Mountain hay Fever Bluegrass Festival, July 11-14, 11th annual, Westcliffe, CO www.highmountainhayfever.org to the list. Thanks.