It's the most watched film in cinema history. How well do you know the movie and its source novel? Click on the photo to reveal the correct answer.
1. The shabby, yet theatrical jacket (pictured left) worn by Professor Marvel was purchased for actor Frank Morgan at a second hand shop. One day on the set he turned over the lapel to discover the original owner of the jacket. Whose was it?
2. Did L. Frank Baum name Dorothy Gale after a real person?
3. What was used to tint the multi-colored "horse of a different color"?
4. How much were the actors playing Munchkins paid? And how much was the dog playing Toto paid?
5. How many lines from the film made the American Film Institute's Top 100 Quotes - and can you name them?
Bonus Question: How can you see this most beloved, most watched film on its 75th anniversary?
Film on the Side: The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Friday, August 29, Showtime: Dusk
Acoma Plaza (near the west entrance of the Central Library)
Directed by Victor Fleming. Starring Judy Garland, Billie Burke, Margaret Hamilton, Frank Morgan.
Go over the rainbow with Dorothy Gale and enjoy this American treasure – under the stars! We're projecting this incredible Technicolor wonder on the side of our building so that even the Wicked Witch can see it on a fly by. Join us at just before sunset; we’ll have seating for you or you can bring cushions or blankets if you want to. See this magical film on its 75th anniversary! In the event of inclement weather, this event will be rescheduled. 102 minutes. Rated PG.
Need a reminder of just how wonderful The Wizard is? Check out this trailer:
AFI Top !00 quotes from The Wizard of Oz:
#4. "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
#23 "There's no place like home."
#99 "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!"