Founded in 1996, the Orange Prize for Fiction recognizes women writing in English throughout the world. The longlist was recently announced, coinciding with International Women's Day.
The prize celebrates excellence, originality, and accessibility in women's writing. Celebrate Women's History Month by checking out some of these outstanding novelists!
*Island of Wings by Karin Altenberg (Quercus) - Swedish; 1st Novel
* On the Floor by Aifric Campbell (Serpent's Tail) - Irish; 3rd Novel
*The Grief of Others by Leah Hager Cohen (The Clerkenwell Press) - American; 4th Novel
* The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue (Picador) - Irish; 7th Novel
* Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan (Serpent's Tail) - Canadian; 2nd Novel
* The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright (Jonathan Cape) - Irish; 5th Novel
* The Flying Man by Roopa Farooki (Headline Review) - British; 5th Novel
* Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon (Quercus) - American; 4th Novel
* Painter of Silence by Georgina Harding (Bloomsbury) - British; 3rd Novel
* Gillespie and I by Jane Harris (Faber & Faber) - British; 2nd Novel
* The Translation of the Bones by Francesca Kay (Weidenfeld & Nicolson) - British; 2nd Novel
* The Blue Book by A.L. Kennedy (Jonathan Cape) - British; 6th Novel
* The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (Harvill Secker) - American; 1st Novel
* The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (Bloomsbury) - American; 1st Novel
* Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick (Atlantic Books) - American; 7th Novel
* State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (Bloomsbury) - American; 6th Novel
* There but for the by Ali Smith (Hamish Hamilton) - British; 5th Novel
* The Pink Hotel by Anna Stothard (Alma Books) - British; 2nd Novel
* Tides of War by Stella Tillyard (Chatto & Windus) - British; 1st Novel
* The Submission by Amy Waldman (William Heinemann) - American; 1st Novel
Look for the announcement of the award shortlist on April 17, and the winner on May 30!