For Fall 2020, the Denver Public Library is partnering with Science Friday, the podcast and public radio show that covers all things science, for their Science Friday Book Club. Science fact and science fiction fans have the opportunity to read titles selected by Science Friday to get you thinking about science in a new way while connecting with readers around the world.
Science Friday Book Club officially begins on Friday, October 2nd, with a kick-off segment on the radio program (Fridays from 12:00-2:00pm MST on KUNC, 91.5). Listen into the radio or podcast to take a deeper dive into the material, and then visit the online community space to discuss with folks around the country.
The first title we are exploring is New Suns: Original Speculative Fiction by People of Color edited by Nisi Shawl, available as an ebook and in print. Each week Science Friday will focus on a new story in the collection, featuring Book Club Captain Christie Taylor and some amazing special guests.
- The first chosen story will be Kelsey and the Burdened Breath by Darcie Little Badger and the radio segment on Friday will feature a conversation with Darcie herself, as well as Aisha Matthews (editor, Journal of Science Fiction).
- In upcoming weeks, we'll focus on the following stories from New Suns:
- The Shadow We Cast Through Time by Indrapramit Das
- Burn the Ships by Alberto Yanez
- Dumb House by Andrea Hairston
- And lastly, we’ll talk with Nisi Shawl about their afterward, writing speculative fiction, and what it means to have anthologies showcasing BIPOC writers.
All our audience discussions will take place on our SciFri Book Club online community space. You can also join a listening party each week so you can listen to the radio segment with other Book Clubbers!
We hope you’ll join us and help build community and conversation around science reading!