“Once in a lifetime, if one is lucky, one so merges with sunlight and air and running water that whole eons, eons that mountains and deserts know, might pass in a single afternoon without discomfort.”
- Loren Eiseley, The Flow of the River
This year's Earth Science week will be celebrated from October 9 - 15. Its purpose is to emphasize the essential role of Earth science in helping people make decisions that maintain and strengthen the planet's ability to support thriving life. Below you will find resources to support this year’s theme of “Earth Science for a Sustainable World.”
Our relationship with the Earth is as diverse as the lifeforms inhabiting it. Covering topics on tree communication, Indigenous environmental justice, the politics of food systems, race within farming, seed saving, coral reefs, and more, this Earth Science and Sustainability Booklist for Adults and movie list feature works that will help reconnect you to the earth beneath your feet.
For more reads tailored to a younger audience check out Earth Science and Sustainability Booklist for Teens, featuring titles on a variety of habitats, climate action for young people, eco-fiction, and more!
Take a deeper dive into the intricacies of the earth with these online resources:
- Geological Society of America
- Geological Society of America 2022 Community Outreach Happenings
- American Geosciences Institute Earth Science Week
- American Geosciences Institute How to Become a Geologist
- U.S. Geological Survey Educational Resources
- USGS Water Cycle
- Minerals Education Coalition
- Gemological Institute of America: Learn About Birthstones
- DPL Reference tools for science, nature and technology
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science with Museum and Cultural Passes