2013 is half over and music pundits have been hard at work identifying their favorite albums of year so far.
Here's a sampling of the "Best Albums of 2013...So Far" lists that I've happened upon:
- NPR Music - More of a variety than a lot of other lists; Everything from metal to classical selections.
- Paste - Heavily leans toward alt-country, folk, and indie rock.
- MTV - Mix of big time bands and under the radar types.
- NME - Britain's taste-making music mag with obvious bias.
- Rolling Stone - The only list I've seen with John Fogerty on it.
- Spin - 40 albums!
- Stereogum - Mostly indie bands, but a few big names thrown in.
Steven Hyden at Grantland goes as far as to make a Best Albums of 2013 list. Yes, the list includes albums not yet released (or even titled) based on his almost-scientific calculations of the predictability of music critics. Snarky, but fun.
Here are a few of my personal favorites (some of which made these lists):
- Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
- Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse
- Yo La Tengo - Fade
- Kurt Vile - Wakin On a Pretty Daze
- Junip - Junip
What's your favorite album of 2013 so far? Anything yet to be released that you're looking forward to?
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Foxygen album is fantastic. I liked Youth Lagoon's first album but the new one is a bit arty for my taste. Black Angels - Indigo Meadow is my favorite album of the year so far, with Savages - Silence Yourself as close second.
Alela Diane - About Farewell.
Excited about Janelle Monáe's new album (Library has her first, The ArchAndroid) - Just got on the hold list for Solange Knowles' True - Never heard of Chance the Rapper until neighbor shared his new album Acid Rap - I hope the Library can get this!