Black History should be celebrated everyday, not only in February. Denver Public Library celebrates Black history with intentionally curated programs and services year round. Black History Today honors both the historical innovations and contributions of African Americans as well as living influencers and current/recent events. From government and politics to education and healthcare, Black history is still very much in the making.
Call for Submissions
Denver Public Library invites all Denver digital and visual artists of Black or African American descent to submit an original, innovative library card design that represents Black contributions, diversity, and inclusion in the Mile High City.
The selected design will be announced on February 1, 2023 and made available as a limited edition library card throughout the month of February 2023. The selected artist will also be featured in the February issue of the library’s Engage! Publication.
A cross functional internal committee of DPL staff will evaluate all submissions equally using the following criteria:
- Interpretation of theme
- Library vision, mission and values alignment
- Ability to be executed on library card
- Positive impact on communities represented and served
Dates to Remember
- Submissions Open: Friday, September 2, 2022
- Submissions Close: Friday, October 14, 2022
- Designer Notified of Chosen Art: Friday, November 18, 2022
- Library Card Available to Public: Wednesday, February 1, 2023
- 4:3 Aspect ratio with minimum resolution of 240dpi (finished size: 3.375” x 2.125”)
- Digital files submissions only (i.e. PDF, JPG, PNG)
- Do not use the DPL Logo/badges