Requests & Holds
Place holds on materials online, or by visiting or calling any Denver Public Library location during business hours. You will be notified by email, phone or text message when your hold has arrived at your pickup location. It may take several days for staff to retrieve and deliver your hold; longer if there are others on hold for the same title. Watch a video tutorial on placing holds.
Suspend your holds while you go out of town with My Account.
Please be aware that there are some limitations on placing holds:
- Reference materials and magazines cannot be requested
- Items you request that are currently checked out may not necessarily be returned by the due date stated in the catalog
- Limit of 30 hold requests pending on your library card account at one time, including Prospector requests
- Featured Title items are not holdable
- The Library will attempt to notify you by email, text or phone when your requested items are ready for pickup. You may also check the status of holds and view other library card information online in My Account.
- Items will be kept on the hold shelf for 7 days from the date they are received
- You must use the same library card to request and check out your requested item
Suspend Your Holds for Vacation
You can suspend all or some of your Denver Public Library holds in your My Account. Prospector requests are not eligible for suspension. During suspension, your holds continue to progress up the hold queue as usual. When your hold becomes number one on the list, it will remain at the top until you reactivate the hold(s). Once the hold is activated you will receive the next available copy. See detailed instructions on holds suspension.
Requesting Items Not Owned by DPL
If you are unable to locate the material you need in our online catalog, you may request it from another library system or the Library may borrow or purchase it. Try Prospector, WorldCat, or request that the Library purchase or borrow the item. Read more about the Request It service.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
- Library Card
- Locations & Hours
- Facts & Press
- Computers & Tech
- Services & Facilities
- Friends Foundation
- Support the Library
- Library Commission
- Contact Us