Local Indo-Jazz Fusion
Mittal's songs range from shamanic and meditative to bustling and chaotic, combining the undulating melodies of traditional Indian music with your classic groovy coffee shop and lounge jazz.
Based in Colorado but influenced through both heritage and study by India, Mittal has collaborated with numerous musicians over the years, including bassist extraordinaire Kai Eckardt. He has taught music at more than 11 local schools, as well as participating in and orchestrating many other educational projects in Colorado. He even actively teaches music lessons in Loveland and Boulder.
You can see him live in concert on March 4th and March 25th at Vita Restaurant in Denver, or on March 7th at the Blue River Bistro in Breckenridge (these are only the nearest dates - if you can't make these, there are plenty more!). Take a listen to his tunes and see the full list of his many upcoming shows on his website.
In the meantime, check out these albums by other indo-jazz fusion artists through the library:
- Putumayo Presents Asian Groove (featuring Deepak Ram)
- Kinsmen - Rudresh Mahanthappa
- Wait Till You See Her - John Abercrombie Quartet
- The Essential John McGlaughlin - John McGlaughlin with the Mahavishnu Orchestra
- The Lost Trident Sessions - Mahavishnu Orchestra
- Miles from India: A Celebration of the Music of Miles Davis
- The House that Trane Built: the Story of Impulse Records
- Heavy Weather - Weather Report
- Romantic Warrior - Return to Forever
All DPL locations will be closed November 27, and will close at 4 p.m. November 26. The Westwood Branch Library will be closed November 27-30. More...