Tina Darling, Mommie's Home!
It was meant to be a faithful film rendition of Christina Crawford's book of the same title, but Mommie Dearest quickly became a midnight showing cult film. In fact, during its initial release, it developed a following as loyal as The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I'm not a film academic, so I can't know with any certainty why Mommie Dearest moved into the realm of cult classic. But some of the reasons I love it might be contributing factors. In no particular order:
- dialogue that is supposed to be serious and dramatic is funny and over-the-top
- much of the acting is Grade 'A' ham
- the costumes and sets are spectacular
- after a couple viewings, you start to anticipate certain speeches, and can shout them out -- just like The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- it's all so bad, it's good
So I hope you'll join us if you can for our very special October Knitflix showing of Mommie Dearest on 10/18. All tricks, no treats. But feel free to bring any treats you'd like. Details and showtime here.
All DPL locations will be closed November 27, and will close at 4 p.m. November 26. The Westwood Branch Library will be closed November 27-30. More...