Beatle Paul in Denver
So what's not to like about that? Well, to be honest, I never thought I'd see Paul in concert since I don't see many big shows anymore, considered myself a "John guy," never really liked Wings, and haven't kept up with Paul's current catalog of music. But I have loved the Beatles since I was a very young child, and now my oldest son carries the Fab Four torch, making it clear to me often that he really wanted to see a Beatle. So I thought, what better birthday present for an eleven-year-old boy who loves music?
Enough has been written about the Beatles and Paul McCartney, so I won't review the history here, but it was a kick to hear the songs performed live that I've been listening to for over forty years. Surprisingly, they sounded fresh and vibrant, Paul looked great for being a few years beyond 64, and sounded even better. The Wings tunes were excellently performed, and his tributes to John and George were moving without being maudlin. There was an element of nostalgia, but it was tempered by a powerful connection from my generation to my son's. It's comforting some things never go out of style.
Need to take a trip back in time? Check out some of my favorite recordings:
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Magical Mystery Tour
- Abbey Road
- Rubber Soul
- The Beatles (White Album)
- Let it Be...Naked
- Love: The Beatles
- Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon
- All Things Must Pass by George Harrison
And for some reading:
- The Beatles Anthology
- Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles by Geoff Emerick and Howard Massey
- The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook
- Beatles Gear: All the Fab Four's Instruments from Stage to Studio by Andy Babiuk
Share your Beatle love.