Great New Features in the Online Catalog
- Searching the catalog is easy, type a few words in the Keyword search box to find library items. Drop down menus let you choose sorting options such as relevance or publication date, and limit your search by formats including books, DVDs, Music CDs and more. Click on "More Search Options" for more complex searches, or use the Browse and Advanced Search features.
- Want to know when we get the newest books by your favorite author, or we get new Horror DVDs? Search the catalog for what you are looking for and click on “Save Search.” Give the search a name, choose to run it weekly or monthly and you will receive an email when the library adds new items to our collection that match your search.
- Going on vacation, or don’t have time to read ten books at once? Suspend, reactivate, or cancel your holds using My Account. View the status of your holds and see your position in the holds queue. Suspended holds will continue to move up the holds list, but will not be made available to you until reactivated.
- Have you ever wanted a list of everything you have checked out from the library? Opt in to the new Reading History feature in My Account. Items will display on your Reading History upon their return. View your history by title, author, check out date, format or lending library. Delete individual titles that you don’t want to keep. You may discontinue your Reading History at any time and all records will be erased.
- Text a Call Number. No need for pencil and paper, text a call number to yourself or a friend by clicking on the cell phone icon next to the availability information for an item.
- New Holds, Overdue, and Courtesy notification methods are available in My Account. Choose email or text messaging to receive a courtesy reminder before an item is due and overdue notices at 2, 10 and 30 days overdue. No notices will be sent by mail. English and Spanish notification options are both available.
- Create title lists from your search results and email, print, or save your lists. Click on “Add to My List” to create Working lists for a single session, or sign in to My Account to save lists that you can refer to later. Manage your lists by deleting titles, or by moving items from one list to another. Students and researchers can format lists for bibliographies. View full instructions. (pdf)
- Update your phone number and email address using My Account. If your address has changed, please see a library staff member to update your information.
- Choose a default pick up location for placing holds. Your default location is the branch where you originally registered. If this is not your preferred library choose a new location and select the “always use this pickup location” option.
New Way to Login to My Account and Place Holds
Instead of using your library card number and last name to place holds and log into My Account, you will now use your library card number OR username (optional) and password (required). The first time you use the new system your password should be your four digit birth year. After signing in you may create a more secure password, and if you wish, set up a username. This same information applies to logging into Overdrive downloadable media and research databases from outside the Library. If you are unable to sign on to your account, please visit any Denver Public Library location to verify your account information or call 720-865-1325 during Central Library hours.
Renewal Process is Different
In Polaris, when you renew an item, the new due date is calculated from the date of renewal, NOT the due date. Do NOT renew far in advance of due dates. If you choose to receive notices by email or text messaging, you will receive a courtesy reminder before an item is due and overdue notices at 2, 10 and 30 days overdue. You may also check My Account to see due dates and the number of renewals remaining on each item.
24/7 Renewal Line Goes Away
The Library no longer supports an automated 24/7 renewal line. You may renew items yourself online via My Account or call any branch or Central at 720-865-1325. This system was problematic and was being used less each year as many customers transitioned to online renewals.
The Denver Public Library typically orders items two to three months before publication. However, this has not been possible for titles to be released in February, March, April and May. We recommend customers start a list of desired titles and regularly check the catalog in March to see if they have been ordered. Normal ordering patterns will resume as soon as possible, but please be aware the backlog will be thousands of titles and require several weeks to process. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you in advance for your patience.
Hold Queue Information
The good news is that the number of holds and number of available copies is on the record in the online catalog. What’s different is that when you place a hold, you won’t receive a message stating where you are in the holds queue. You can see this BEFORE you place the hold. And, you can find this information in My Account.
Interlibrary Loan/Request It
We will begin allowing new requests on February 17. The Request It limit will remain at 30 per year per customer regardless of outcome. Customers may want to resist the temptation to submit purchase requests for the first few weeks as the Library processes orders for thousands of recently released and forthcoming titles. Please remember that Prospector requests are not available at this point. ILL requests will no longer show in My Account for the duration of the request. Please check Request It for updated status information. When an ILL item has been received in the ILL Department and is being sent to a branch for pickup, a hold will be placed on your account. If you have opted for phone, email or text notification, you will receive a message when it arrives at the designated pickup location.
One Bookmobile in Catalog
Our new system makes it easier for customers using our Reading Rocket bookmobiles to request items. Simply select Bookmobile as your hold pick up branch and your requests will be routed to the Reading Rocket that serves your site.
We are no longer using AquaBrowser as a search discovery layer to our catalog. When the decision was made to implement AquaBrowser, the Library did not know it would obtain funding for a new integrated library system. After careful consideration, once that funding was obtained and the project planned, it was determined that using the new Polaris catalog made sense for the future.
Spanish Catalog and Children’s Catalog
The new catalog can be translated between Spanish and English using the Translate links on the left. We no longer have a separate Children’s catalog.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
- Library Card
- Locations & Hours
- Facts & Press
- Computers & Tech
- Services & Facilities
- Friends Foundation
- Support the Library
- Library Commission
- Contact Us