National American Heart Month
Did you know the following facts:
- The heart pumps about 1 million barrels of blood during an average lifetime.
- The aorta, the largest artery in the body, is almost the diameter of a garden hose.
- Your heart beats about 100,000 times in one day and about 35 million times in a year. During an average lifetime, the human heart will beat more than 2.5 billion times.*
The following books can help you maintain a healthy heart:
- Betty Crocker Heart Healthy Cookbook
- The Buena Salud Guide to a Healthy Heart Jane Delgado
- Mayo Clinic Healthy Heart for Life!: The Mayo Clinic Plan for Preventing and Conquering Heart Disease
- Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum's Heart Book: Every Woman's Guide to a Heart-Healthy Life: Reduce the Effects of Stress, Promote Heart Health, and Restore the Balance in your Life Suzanne Steinbaum
The following websites are filled with information about your heart.
- American Heart Association
- Heart Disease in Women
- Heart Disease Risk Factors for Children and Teenagers
Remember to check with your own physician about any person medical concerns or before beginning an exercise program after a period of inactivity.
*Facts from Nova Retrieved February 7, 2013
All DPL locations will be closed November 27, and will close at 4 p.m. November 26. The Westwood Branch Library will be closed November 27-30. More...