Hispanic Heritage Month at the Library ¡Ándale!
Submitted by Stefanie on September 20, 2013 - 9:53am
- This month’s Biblioboletín features 3 new Spanish-language titles, activities for kids and families stemming from Latin American artistic traditions (including the fabulous Art Saturdays for Families at the Byers Branch Library presented in collaboration with the Chicano Humanities and Arts Council), Library resources for Latino and Spanish-speaking customers to research family history, descriptions of our computer classes and Plazas, and help finding Spanish-speaking information on the Affordable Care Act.
- Here is a small sample of the many excellent materials available in the Western History and Genealogy department. While many items are non-circulating, if you’re interested in Latino/Chicano/Hispanic history, culture and politics you could spend a fascinating and peaceful couple of hours browsing. Contact the Western History and Genealogy Department to learn more about maps, photographs, books and other treasures, including the Rodolfo “Corky” Gonzales Papers.
- Byers Branch Library has Carlota EspinoZa’s beautiful mural. Artist EspinoZa was this year’s Lena L. Archuleta Community Service Award winner.
- The BookBuzz newsletter features kids’ titles with engaging Latino protagonists. In the books, movies and music section of espanol.denverlibrary.org, you’ll find the Listas Luminarias--bilingual and/or Spanish-language children’s books chosen annually by Dallas librarians to promote a love of reading in preschool through 3rd grade children, a link to popular Spanish-language magazines in our collection, links to lists of new and popular Spanish-language books, CDs and DVDs, and lists of children’s books recommended by awesome DPL staff.
- In addition to espanol.denverlibrary.org, we now have a Spanish Facebook page with featured items of particular interest to Spanish-speaking customers.
All DPL locations will be closed November 27, and will close at 4 p.m. November 26. The Westwood Branch Library will be closed November 27-30. More...