Designer Fallene Wells has a lot on her fashion plate
I'm really excited that Fallene Wells, one of Denver's most talented designers and a graduate of the fast-paced reality competition Project Runway, will be our star judge for Frock Out 3. Though she's busy with a handful of really challenging projects of her own, Fallene didn't hesitate when asked to participate in Frock Out 2012. She said to me, "Hey, I had a great time preparing for that show in 2010 (as a contestant) and I love that it's for a great cause like cultural programming at the library. It was an easy decision to make."
Even though her days are jam-packed, Fallene and I had a chance to chat last week about her goals -- and she shared some advice for this year's crop of Frock Out contestants:
What was Project Runway like? Did you have fun or was it all a blur? I've never been in the military but I think going to Project Runway was like being in fashion bootcamp.
Did you learn anything on Project Runway that you have been able to use in your business model?The one thing I learned was from Cecilia Motwani, she is incredibly talented and can whip out outfits like nobody's business. She taught me to take the time to do it right the first time, and taught me how to draft a basic sloper. I think going to Project Runway was beneficial for me not only for the exposure but to meet some great friends.
What are you working on now? I have a ton of projects I'm working on.
1) I launched a Kickstarter to raise $20,000 in 45 days to locally manufacturer 12 designs inspired by the 1920s from my collection Modern Nouveau. I'm hosting a networking/fundraising event Friday, February 17 at Tactile 1955 S. Quince Street, Suite 200, Denver, CO 80231 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. People can see my designs from the collection, sketches and fabric swatches. There will be desserts, drinks and amazing prize drawings you can enter to win! To Purchase your tickets and/or to contribute to Fallene's project visit www.kck.st/fallenewells.
2) I will be hosting the Macys Fashion Face off competition on March 10th at the Cherry Creek Mall. I'll be judging the ACDC Paper Fashion show on March 15 at the Denver Performing Arts Center
3) On March 30 my 5th annual fashion show, Forever Darling 5, will be featured at the Denver Art Museum Untitled Haute #47 event featuring 8 designers (including me) from Project Runway showing a YSL inspired collection. This event is sold out but you can come to the following event
4) On March 31 FGI and Forever Darling bring you "Dressing is a Way of Life" -- YSL at Walker Fine Art Gallery on 11th and Cherokee at 5-11 p.m. Due to the high demand in Forever Darling 5 tickets at the DAM, we decided to have a 2nd showing. Guests will have the opportunity to see the YSL inspired collections, shop, meet and greet with the designers, eat some small bites and listen to music from Sauna. Tickets will be for sale this week. Visit www.foreverdarling.org for more info.
5) Judging at the Frock Out Competition April 19 at the Denver Library.
We have twelve designers competing in this year's Frock Out. Can you tell us what you'll be looking for as a judge? I will be looking for originality, technical ability, how much they were inspired by this year's Titanic theme, and the fabrics they selected.
Do you have any advice for our competitors? I have learned through a number of different competitions, you can't worry about what other people are doing, just do the best that you can and worry about putting your best work out there.
How can folks support the work that you are doing right now? I would love to reach my goal and get my Kickstarter funded so I can create a line to sell in stores and online.
Learn more about Fallene's Kickstarter project here. You can donate as little as $1 and you will not be charged until her project is funded on Feb 22!
To purchase tickets to the Forever Darling 5 and for more details, visit www.foreverdarling.org. Tickets will go on sale next week!
Come and see Fallene judge the quick and the thread at Frock Out: Come Undone.